Will Lexx ever appear on Blu-Ray or HD DVD?

Everything from the ongoing Battle of the Bellringers to wild speculation about Season 5

Moderators: clusterlizard1, Mantrid, gela

Gehirn

Will Lexx ever appear on Blu-Ray or HD DVD?

Postby Gehirn » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:20 pm

Well, the topic says it all.
What do you think? The quality of the DVDs is sub standard. Some VHS look better.
What we really need is an HDTV-Edition of Lexx. :D
Der kleine Junge ist offensichtlich VERR?CKT.
Ich schlage vor, dass wir uns weitere Unannehmlichkeiten ersparen und ihn auf der Stelle wieder ins All hinausbef?rdern.
(790, Norb)

His Divine Shadow

Postby His Divine Shadow » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:23 pm

I think they do have that. In fact I think I have that.
Turns out Gin is still alive. Dying but not dead yet. I hope he is saved.

Tidus

Postby Tidus » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:17 pm

The chances of that are slim to none.

Veyron

Re: Will Lexx ever appear on Blu-Ray or HD DVD?

Postby Veyron » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:22 am

Gehirn wrote:Well, the topic says it all.
What do you think? The quality of the DVDs is sub standard. Some VHS look better.
What we really need is an HDTV-Edition of Lexx. :D

If Lexx was even published to the full standard of plain DVDs that woudl be so great. It all depends on what the original film or digital recording was. I swear, old film is way better than modern bullshit digital recordings. Except for the fact that the retail DVDs of lexx were unedited, the quality was very dissapointing.

I thought i heard that season 4 and maybe season 3 though were filmed in a higher definition quality. Season 2 regretably is as is. Lexx will never continue, but it sure as hell woudl be nice if it could just be remastered in some decent DVDs! :?

LogicDeLuxe

Postby LogicDeLuxe » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:57 am

I think, it's mainly season 3 which is really low resolution to the degree that you can spot moires all the time. This probably is the result from the cutting job, not the filming itself, I guess.

In seasons 1 and 4, I find the quality quite good. And in season 2, it differs alot between episodes, I think.

I noticed, that the broadcasts on the German Sci-Fi channel are much worse than the DVD's (which is generally the case on many TV stations)

HD would be nice, of course. Though, since the series isn't even completely available in SD in most countries, I wouldn't bet on it.

I compared with season 1 UK DVD and 2 and 3 to the Canadian releases. Season 4 wasn't aired on the German Sci-Fi channel.

BunnyFan

Postby BunnyFan » Thu May 08, 2008 9:07 am

LogicDeLuxe wrote:I think, it's mainly season 3 which is really low resolution to the degree that you can spot moires all the time. This probably is the result from the cutting job, not the filming itself, I guess.

In seasons 1 and 4, I find the quality quite good. And in season 2, it differs alot between episodes, I think.

It's funny that you say that, because season 3 was the only season filmed in Hi Def. I have only watched the first 3 seasons (on the Australian DVD releases) and season 3's quality is far superior to season 1 and 2, which I guess comes as a result of having a better Hi Def master transfered to the higher resolution of our PAL system...?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun May 11, 2008 5:38 am

BunnyFan wrote:
LogicDeLuxe wrote:I think, it's mainly season 3 which is really low resolution to the degree that you can spot moires all the time. This probably is the result from the cutting job, not the filming itself, I guess.

It's funny that you say that, because season 3 was the only season filmed in Hi Def. I have only watched the first 3 seasons (on the Australian DVD releases) and season 3's quality is far superior to season 1 and 2, which I guess comes as a result of having a better Hi Def master transfered to the higher resolution of our PAL system...?

so why is season 4 inferior, why not also filmed hi def? or did you mean until....season 3.... As for PAL format, I often wonder if PAL versions are not simply converted from NTSC versions and thus degraded in the process. A master created in PAL would certainly be superior to NTSC......but now with Hi Def blue ray or whoever the fruk got dominance in that format sure would be nice to see something Lexx related. My beef is that basicn NTSC DVD standard though the minimum, is pretty damn good, and a lot of Lexx DVDs dont even muster up to that basic level....I have no idea why, so seems pointless to go to hi def if its the same old crap. "we are to the gods as flys to wanton boys" LOL some quote i remember from Bloch or Ellison days. 8)

BunnyFan

Postby BunnyFan » Sun May 11, 2008 5:54 am

Veyron wrote:so why is season 4 inferior, why not also filmed hi def? or did you mean until....season 3.... As for PAL format, I often wonder if PAL versions are not simply converted from NTSC versions and thus degraded in the process. A master created in PAL would certainly be superior to NTSC......but now with Hi Def blue ray or whoever the fruk got dominance in that format sure would be nice to see something Lexx related. My beef is that basicn NTSC DVD standard though the minimum, is pretty damn good, and a lot of Lexx DVDs dont even muster up to that basic level....I have no idea why, so seems pointless to go to hi def if its the same old crap.

According to mayaXXX over at the Lexxverse forum season 4 was filmed in standard def because of budget constraints.

Yes if PAL is just upconverted from NTSC I agree it can be WORSE.

Benefits of HD for a show filmed in standard def NTSC? Probably just that they can use a higher bitrate, which should mean that the video will be free of nasty DVD type compression artifacts, plus it can be fitted on less disks.

Of course season 3 could probably go on a HD disk in full 1080p high res...

FRODO

Postby FRODO » Thu May 29, 2008 7:52 am

I would say that the conversion is based on supply & demand so I agree with Tidus........the chances are zero. :cry:
Frodo the original naughty hobbit...

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri May 30, 2008 6:59 am

Sometimes i wonder if the analog video tapes made from broadcast tv I often think i should toss might actually be superior to digital conversons made for DVDs. For one thing, dvd video severly suffers in dark scenes there is no grey, its all just black. :?

BunnyFan

Postby BunnyFan » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:29 am

VHS vs DVD... hmmmm I dunno.

Return to “LEXX Discussion”