Really, really new/old fan...

Everything from the ongoing Battle of the Bellringers to wild speculation about Season 5

Moderators: clusterlizard1, Mantrid, gela

Ryan Vice

Really, really new/old fan...

Postby Ryan Vice » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:39 am

...and I was kinda wonderin' if anyone could tell me what's happened here since 2003? I barely know, myself :lol:

Yeah, Galactica was really *that* painful...is it over yet? And I didn't even watch the damn thing :smt023

No sarcasm, completely lost. And Lexx makes more sense than ever.

Gonna read some posts and try to catch up before I post again...in the meantime, hi, everyone :)

-Ryan
The power of order...is messed up.

Yoyodyner
Has-Been

Postby Yoyodyner » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:24 pm

Welcome back Ryan! :smt023

Ryan Vice

Postby Ryan Vice » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:37 pm

Thanks :D Cheers to your icon, it's still cool :smt023 Jeers to the Blu-Ray set for taking away the open-ended ending from "Conquest"...yeah, I'm one of those crazy ones who thought Ceasar cried a tear of joy and the old "future" split off into it's own seperate Universe, Taylor would have landed in a very different future, yackety schmakety and a tall cool glass of OJ an' all dat :shock:

I knew it was edited to begin with, but...not having Roddy McDowall around, it just gives me a creepy kinda feeling about what Fox is up to. Sheesh :lol:

Feels *good* to be back! :smt023

-Ryan

Tidus

Postby Tidus » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:11 pm

I love the original Planet of the Apes movie, the second one; "Underneath" started off good but when they meet those "higher beings" with the nuclear weapon it just turns into some cheap B-Movie.. that just spoilt the whole thing for me and left me with no desire to watch the other sequels properly.

The Tim Burton remake was crap. The television series from the 70s on the other hand, was excellent.

Ryan Vice

Postby Ryan Vice » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:08 pm

Hi, Tidus :) The appeal for me was always time and how they played around with it, how Charlton Heston's decision to have his character destroy the entire planet actually could have given rise to a better timeline for Apes...maybe for humans, too. The time relativity just went back and forth, fluxing like crazy, and I loved it :) It was something funny that turned into something genuine, and leaving it open-ended, for the audience to feel what really happened in their own imaginations...that's always seemed the best way to do it, for me, and it's why Galactica failed in my mind.

I fibbed a little, I watched Galactica three times, to give it a chance. And from what I've heard of the ending...well, the word "perfect" comes up a lot, but from my own little POV, perfection is the same thing as...well, being dead, being a statue, being a crazy automaton robit, etc. ;)

I rarely try to be perfect and avoid seeking perfection too much...I'd have nowhere else to go if I were perfect, and there are still places I wanna go :lol: Pretending to be perfect as an "all in good fun" kinda joke? That's something different, I could do it all day :smt023

I don't understand math aside from seeing each number as an abstract symbol kinda thing, never thought I could admit to that in any fandom...here, though, I feel I can...it's a very rare kinda atmosphere, and I like it :)

Oh, and read a little bit on how S4 is viewed (or has come to be viewed, more crazy time relativity :!:

Maybe it does have something to do with...well, area, background, something like that.

So, to put that to the test: I'm a 26 year-old male of Italian/Basque/Native American descent, born and raised in (and around, sometimes) Washington D.C. When I watched S4 during the first American showings on Sci-Fi, I cried several times from the laughter. The Druids and the staff bothered me at first, because that all seemed way too easy and way too "magickal", but then it stopped bothering me when I started laughing again. Now, re-watching all of it, the humor is just as good as before and the ideas are a lot more clear, to boot :) It's...s'cuse me for making the worst pun ever (I kinda like puns), well, it's like a Divine Comedy :shock:

And I really, really, really liked the U.S. being made fun of, even thought it's also making fun of me, in a way. So I laugh at the show, and at myself, and that's satisfying entertainment :)

Galactica...well, it looks at the worst parts of human nature, but never with any alternative, any change in mood, anything that would shift it into a direction showing that humans are capable of being happy...so I see it as one side of a coin, and maybe a scratched-up side, at that ;)

Lexx looked at both sides of the coin and pretty much everything in-between. It didn't even change to bow to *a crazy hazy September day in 2001* like a lot of other things did.

That was cool :)

So, how was Final Fantasy X? I never got to play it, and that's an even longer story. Sheesh ;) Anyway, have a good one and thanks for the reply :)

-Ryan

Tidus

Postby Tidus » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:53 pm

Washington eh? You share the same state as our very own eLNunn.

I think Lexx Season 4 is an aquired taste. I only saw bits of it on television back in 2004 and thought it was not up to the standard of the Lexx that I know and love. I own the DVDs now so one day I'll watch it again and maybe it will grow on me, but I doubt it.

Final Fantasy X is the best game on Playstation 2! It's all about the next-gen consoles these days, but I refuse to let go of my PS2 because it still has all the great games like Silent Hill, MGS, GTA, Manhunt, Final Fantasy, Tekken etc. No point in spending $400+ on a new console when I still get enjoyment out of the same one I've had since 2001.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:00 am

Tidus wrote:Washington eh? You share the same state as our very own eLNunn.

I think Lexx Season 4 is an aquired taste. I only saw bits of it on television back in 2004 and thought it was not up to the standard of the Lexx that I know and love. I own the DVDs now so one day I'll watch it again and maybe it will grow on me, but I doubt it..

Give or take a few thousand miles?

And is it just me or does it seem like a lot of "Lexxfans" have yet to even watch the show?

Wheres my kayak!?

Just kidding. The different seasons were unique and almost different shows. If you want to be a Lexx purist, fine. Just dont go crying over a bunch of dead season 1 or 2 dvds or form a Lexx First Season Liberation Front protest or something.

I said i was kidding. Now where's my kayak?!

Tidus

Postby Tidus » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:15 am

It's a pet peeve of mine when people try to be some kind of outspoken, abrasive character but are too scared to take the heat for their comments so they say "Only joking" or "Just kidding" to avoid any kind of backlash.

Ryan Vice

Postby Ryan Vice » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:37 am

Tidus, what if the person really *is* joking? :) Stranger things have happened...thanks for the reply and I totally agree with you on the consoles. Good strategy...I cut off a little earlier than PS2's release date, so I kinda leeched a little from people who did own one...like my ex-fiance, who told me I couldn't play FF 10 until I had played and completed FF 9, and I said no and that was that :lol: Hoo boy :shock:

But yeah, we're not that Washington...think "the bitch set me up" instead of "Twin Peaks", an' that's our little District...which is actually a lot more surreal than Twin Peaks could ever be. :twisted:

Veyron, thanks for your reply, too :)

Lexx First Season Liberation Front? Did that happen between 2003 and now? Please say no :smt023

The U.S. already tried that by changing Kai's eyes, no Insect Essence in 'em...then made a very funny trailer with Action Movie narration telling us that the movies took place in the year 4001. It's still good for a laugh, and it feels even better when you laugh at something Viacom did :)

Wish I could help, but I dunno where your kayak is...I'm wondering where my damn Boku is, myself. I want my Boku, very badly :!:

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:16 am

Tidus wrote:It's a pet peeve of mine when people try to be some kind of outspoken, abrasive character but are too scared to take the heat for their comments so they say "Only joking" or "Just kidding" to avoid any kind of backlash.

Avoid the backlash that you dont know the difference between Washington DC and Washington State?

I know what your are saying though, the phrase that makes me cringe is ":"no offence, but....."

I dont need to hide behind some phrase. I am extremely offensive, its not a good thing. More often then not, i do intend my meanness. And when the smileys are implied or obvious to me, they dont come off in the post.

So... to conclude our geography lesson, if Ryan will pay the cab fare, i will buy beers for Ryan and eLNunn. Uh better include return cab fare. No kidding.

And Goat face, we should gets some brewskie some time, ill buy....Just Kidding! Hey im not bill gates...but I know where he lives. As Sarah Palin might say, " I can see Bill Gates house from my house."

Heh heh..more Palin quotes: "Alms for and ex leper?"

I am not trying to make sense, just cant find my recliner.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:56 am

Hey elNunn, Ill buy. The first round. Heh heh. No kidding. Christ do I have to say that every time now.

Shit i cant believe its fall now. Sorry Oz folks this is a northern hemispher moment.

Carbonite sucks.

Tidus

Postby Tidus » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:50 pm

Veyron wrote:Avoid the backlash that you dont know the difference between Washington DC and Washington State?

I couldn't care less wether or not I got two different locations with the same name mixed up. I wouldn't expect you to know everything about my country either, but with your pessimistic attitude and sly, underhanded comments toward certain members here, you paint a picture of yourself as some bitter lonely old man with a chip on his shoulder, so I guess that's the kind of thing we can only expect from you.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:05 pm

Tidus wrote:
Veyron wrote:Avoid the backlash that you dont know the difference between Washington DC and Washington State?

I couldn't care less ... so I guess that's the kind of thing we can only expect from you.

Who exactly is "we," anyway. I made a joke, then you whined about it. There is more to heaven and earth then is dreamt of in Playstation.

And yeah, I am just kidding. Do you get the concept? Thats the whole point, to find a fault, jab you with it, but its all good, we learn about ourselves or insist we are perfect.

Ryan Vice

Postby Ryan Vice » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:34 pm

Tidus, is Britain your country? You'd be right, there's not much I would know about...well, the monuments and history behind them, the attitude of the population, what the weather's like, what "spotted dick" really is, etc. :lol:

It's cool, as far as I'm concerned you can make any joke about the U.S. that you wish to make...told ya, it's one reason why I liked S4 so much :)

"Do you get the concept? Thats the whole point, to find a fault, jab you with it, but its all good, we learn about ourselves or insist we are perfect."

Veyron, that's a good answer :) We learn by making mistakes and if you make a mistake, it can also be an "all in good fun" joke, and that's always cool :!:

Getting cab fare, on the other hand...by the time I'm done selling off my organs, I'll show up looking like Squish's favorite food :lol:

Everything's relative, and I love that everything, truly, truly is...you can say it in any situation :-D

Be back later, I'm hearing some ambient energy-transfer music from the crazy Romanian family that lives next door, think I'll see what Captain an' the Kids are up to...

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:32 pm

Hey Tidus, Ryan, anybody. The most important thing is to be nice and have fun, things that I am so good at screwing up at. Thats why i created the recliner, to isolate impulsive posts. Sometimes the evil poster in me gets loose. I dont have an excuse, but i do appologise. Impulsive posting usually seems fun at the time. I should rig a machine that whenever i click the "submit" button a big steel shovel slams my head instead. I would probably keep clicking in disbelief. :?

Ryan Vice

Postby Ryan Vice » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:19 pm

Veyron, it's cool...at least on my end, anyways :) No need to apologize to me, I think you're funny :smt023

Of course, I'll probably try to one-up ya and buy a round for everyone at some point...and I do mean everyone :-D

Let's see, what do I take completely seriously on Lexx? Right now, only two things: Super Nova and Eating Pattern, the Salter Street/Koch versions on DVD. They're all I'm missing, and I'm dead-set on having those versions. If anyone can tell me how to get them (or maybe sell them to me), that'd be the biggest smile of all :) I'll grumble a little if the prices are high, then I'll pay and start laughing at both the money and why these discs are so rare in the first place. Quality, quality entertainment, if it actually happens :lol:

The big tin set is a Mindfuck Supreme until I know what's actually on it. Sheesh ;)

Actually going to a fan gathering would be the best, but cons in general are something I'm still working on...I tried to make it to DragonCon '03 and a billion technicalities on my end got in the way...still, my name was on the list and you guys sent me a couple goodies from the con, which is still the nicest I have ever been treated in any fandom :)

Anyway, Veyron, thanks very much for the response. Remember, I'm not easily offended...and if you ever get to know me, I'll probably tell you flat-out all the ways in which I can be offended, because I enjoy laughing at that, too :) Have a good one!

-Ryan

eLNunn

Postby eLNunn » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:48 am

Tidus wrote: some bitter lonely old man with a chip on his shoulder

Fuck!

I thought that was my job!
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, and small minds discuss people."-

Tidus

Postby Tidus » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:08 am

Veyron wrote:
Tidus wrote:

I couldn't care less ... so I guess that's the kind of thing we can only expect from you.

Who exactly is "we," anyway. I made a joke, then you whined about it. There is more to heaven and earth then is dreamt of in Playstation.

And yeah, I am just kidding. Do you get the concept? Thats the whole point, to find a fault, jab you with it, but its all good, we learn about ourselves or insist we are perfect.

So you're basically saying that just because you make a joke, one has to react in a certain way? What did you expect; "Good one Veyron, you are a funny stand up guy" or something of the like? Well, guess what? I don't find your jokes funny, do you get that concept? Like the one where you suggested people take their honeymoon in Egypt and go driving in the traffic. I find jokes like that from you worrying more than anything because you have this negative attitude on here 99.9% of the time so when you say things like that, it comes across like you really mean it and not anything like a "joke" at all.

Ryan Vice

Postby Ryan Vice » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:03 am

Hi again, Tidus :)

A lotta people try to get stuff across on the Internet, and it's always been kinda tricky...at least for me, anyway, because there aren't any vocal tones. To me, a word could mean a billion-zillion things depending on how the person says it. Dunno if it works like that with everyone, but it's one reason why I always go after my favorite shows in NTSC (if they were originally shot in NTSC, anyway ;) PAL format speed up the video and audio and I always notice...whether I want to or not. Yay! :smt023

Just something I'm putting out there, anyway...relativity, she is beautiful, no? :-D

See, if there were sound waves here that could carry vocal tones...I'd play "Why Can't We Be Friends", cue the group shot, everyone laughs, fade out, DA DA DA DA DA DA DA DA THUNDERCATS *GROWL*

:lol:

Seriously, though, I think it's better to be negative here than anywhere else...lots of other fandoms, to bring up lovely little relativity again, make any negativity on here look like picnic, comrade ;) Don't ask me, I've been in those fandoms :( Even Lexx (and the fandom) at their worst would still be something Transformers fans would kill to have now, for example...the fans that go waaaay back, anyway. Time Relativity took a lot away from them, Lexx continues to age like Wine, even if all of us don't ;) Making fun of everything under, over, and around the sun (and the galaxy, the universe, the afterlife) had a lot to do with it :smt023

Anyway, hope ya have a good one, that'd be cool :)

-Ryan

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:39 pm

Tidus wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Tidus wrote:

So you're basically saying that just because you make a joke, one has to react in a certain way? What did you expect; "Good one Veyron, you are a funny stand up guy" or something of the like? Well, guess what? I don't find your jokes funny, do you get that concept? Like the one where you suggested people take their honeymoon in Egypt and go driving in the traffic. I find jokes like that from you worrying more than anything because you have this negative attitude on here 99.9% of the time so when you say things like that, it comes across like you really mean it and not anything like a "joke" at all.

OK. I dont have a negative attitude 99.9% of the time, but I agree its too much, whatever the percentage may be. So this is my revised post, what was here before was just silly.
Last edited by Veyron on Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “LEXX Discussion”