Weekly episode: 1.0: I worship his shadow

Everything from the ongoing Battle of the Bellringers to wild speculation about Season 5

Moderators: clusterlizard1, Mantrid, gela

varrtan

Weekly episode: 1.0: I worship his shadow

Postby varrtan » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:20 am

Of course, this is one of the most excellent science fiction movies. There is a special quality to the darkness of the story that I don't know how to put into words. It is deeply horrifying, but doesn't invite you to have a naive thrill about cruelty.

It is amazing how much of the story of Lexx is conveyed in this one episode.

I didn't notice a detail before, where the predecessors worry that the body used to hold his shadow wasn't properly cleansed. And, how he says that he serves order and himself, and they all gasp. How would a properly cleansed host have behaved differently?

He sacrifices himself for failing due to his pride. Was there a relationship between him wanting to command the Lexx himself and the Lexx being taken?

The predecssors gasp again when he says he intends to destroy all the worlds. So, would a properly cleansed host have been less of a killer?

I don't entierly get how "the kiss" works. His shadow enters the body, but then it's also outside somehow. And after the one host sacrifices himself, the outside shadow enters the place where is brain was. So, what are the inner and outer shadow parts?

Is the guy who does the initial kiss the same actor as the Wozzard/Dr. Longbore?

Dark Dragon Dave

Re: Weekly episode: 1.0: I worship his shadow

Postby Dark Dragon Dave » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:08 pm

varrtan wrote:The predecssors gasp again when he says he intends to destroy all the worlds. So, would a properly cleansed host have been less of a killer?

The Divine Shadow is definitely Lawful Evil. Destroying the other planets would make him Chaotic Evil.

EDIT: I should clarify. All the previous Shadows were Lawful Evil and the dude they got to be the new host was likely Chaotic Evil. Without properly being blanked, the man's tendencies rose to the surface.
Last edited by Dark Dragon Dave on Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword. With blade in hand shall I reap the sins of this world and cleanse it in the fires of destruction. I am Hakumen. The end has come!

Yoyodyner
Has-Been

Postby Yoyodyner » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:07 pm

varrtan wrote:Is the guy who does the initial kiss the same actor as the Wozzard/Dr. Longbore?

IMDB says yes. (scroll down a bit) (er... at least his voice)

IWHS link worth checking out here.

varrtan

Postby varrtan » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:53 am

Nice explanation Dark Dragon Dave. I was also struck by how evil Stanley is, in offering Xev to the guards, and contributing to his shadow's weapon by accident. Is lawful evil worse then evil resulting from lameness?

eLNunn

Postby eLNunn » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:58 am

Yoyodyner wrote:
varrtan wrote:Is the guy who does the initial kiss the same actor as the Wozzard/Dr. Longbore?

IMDB says yes. (scroll down a bit) (er... at least his voice)

IWHS link worth checking out here.

Walter Borden is one of my favorite actors on the show. You have to admit, the man has one helluva voice.
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, and small minds discuss people."-

Dark Dragon Dave

Postby Dark Dragon Dave » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:19 pm

Walter Borden's voice made the Divine Shadow, as much as James Earl Jones' did for Darth Vader. You simply can't imagine anyone else as that character.
I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword. With blade in hand shall I reap the sins of this world and cleanse it in the fires of destruction. I am Hakumen. The end has come!

LogicDeLuxe

Postby LogicDeLuxe » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:36 am

varrtan wrote:How would a properly cleansed host have behaved differently?
I guess, exactly like its predecessor. In a way everyone at the cluster was used to.
He sacrifices himself for failing due to his pride. Was there a relationship between him wanting to command the Lexx himself and the Lexx being taken?
Taken by whom? The Devine Shadow? Of course, he intended to destroy every planet in the cluster. The refugees? Since the bug bomb exploded, the entire automated system went wrong, so the Lexx was just the opportunity. Not directly related, I'd say. Although, the bug bomb was set from the enemy of the cluster, so indirectly, it is related, but actually a coincidence, I'd say. It was not exactly the result the bug bomb was meant to cause, apparently.
The predecssors gasp again when he says he intends to destroy all the worlds. So, would a properly cleansed host have been less of a killer?
There is not much point in ruling a world with no planets left, isn't it? The not so properly cleansed host was apparently somewhat psychopathic. The Devine Shadow would be a killer, of course, but he would have spent more resources to actually locate his enemies, I guess.
I don't entierly get how "the kiss" works. His shadow enters the body, but then it's also outside somehow. And after the one host sacrifices himself, the outside shadow enters the place where is brain was. So, what are the inner and outer shadow parts?
I guess, that's some magic which we just have to accept the way it is. The brain removal procedure and the place taken by the Shadow was because it wasn't properly cleansed, I think. It was when he came to the conclusion that he was a failure.

I like this movie a lot. It's still one of LEXX's best stories, imho.

BlackDalek

Postby BlackDalek » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:11 am

LogicDeLuxe wrote:I guess, that's some magic which we just have to accept the way it is. The brain removal procedure and the place taken by the Shadow was because it wasn't properly cleansed, I think. It was when he came to the conclusion that he was a failure.

I like this movie a lot. It's still one of LEXX's best stories, imho.

I think the removal of the brain was also so that there was still part of the host for His Shadow to go back to and occupy should the body be destroyed ;)
If you've got nothing better to do... click this

varrtan

Postby varrtan » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:49 am

Oh right, the brains are saved because they house the predecessors. And the shadow is some ethereal entity that infuses the hosts, so I guess it's not surprising that it is also outside. The host gathers the shadow into some shadow concentrate when he does the gathering thing.

LogicDeLuxe,

I know the story is just the story, but I'm still not sure if I missed something when the host sacrifices himself for having failed. How did his pride result in failure?

eLNunn

Postby eLNunn » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:36 am

varrtan wrote:LogicDeLuxe,

I know the story is just the story, but I'm still not sure if I missed something when the host sacrifices himself for having failed. How did his pride result in failure?

Okay, I'm not LogicDeLux, but I just hafta step in here.

It was his pride in ignoring the prophecy.
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, and small minds discuss people."-

His Divine Shadow

Postby His Divine Shadow » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:05 am

Greatest movie ever. The only movies that ever came close to it where eating pattern, Giga shadow, and FF7 Advent Children.
Turns out Gin is still alive. Dying but not dead yet. I hope he is saved.

Return to “LEXX Discussion”