Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Computer Problems ?

I?m having probs with my computer. I have a HP and need to run a full recovery. (so l?m told)

Do l press F10...F10...F10...several times to begin ? And will l lose all my files ?

~Elizabeth :(
    a myriad of roses, a symphony of fragrances

if your running windows then you can do system restore. it restores the computer to last time you took 'picture' of the hard drive. if it was recently, but before the problem, then you can do that and you wont lose any files.
    More disturbing than your creepy uncle...

I've tried system restore, and l still have problems with my computer. I've sent my computer away time and time again, and all they do is run a full system recovery. Last time l sent it away for repair they kept it for SIX weeks.

So l guess a full system recovery means l will lose all my files...yet again .

~Elizabeth

P.S l pay this kid over the road (my sons friend) $10 to help with certain techi probs, and he's always trying to upgrade my computer...(with god knows what ?). He looks as though he knows what he's doing, but always manages to bugger things up fpr me. So l called a technician and he said l need to do a full system recovey.

Wish me luck...

what exactly is wrong with it?
    More disturbing than your creepy uncle...

Sometimes the best thing to do is to reinstall the operating system, the best reason to do this is that it will wipe out any non-hardware related problems that your having. Another big advantage is that it can be done in a few hours. I can't imagine having the computer in the shop for six weeks. Of course, before you do this back up all your files( don't wanna lose all those Kai photos that you've downloaded). :D
    My name is Pinhead and I approve of this post.

Well for starters it freezes all the time, and l get pop-ups but when l get these pop-ups l get pages and pages of them and when l start to click them off, a page comes up saying click don?t send, so when l click don?t send? it clicks off every single page l?m on, and l have to start from scratch. I can?t even get into my mail half the time. It?s such a headache.

Thanks guys :smt023

~Elizabeth

P.S?I guess after Tidus?s incident this is but a minor problem.

P.S.S Lot's of family photos Pinhead :cry:

Those pop up problems might be from viruses or other malisious crap from the internet. A couple of free programs that you might want to install and run on a regualar basis are Ad-Aware and Spybot. Here's their links:

http://www.lavasoft.de/

http://www.spybot.info/

And don't forget to update and run a virus check on a regular basis! I use AVG, it's free and works pretty well.

Yes it's true!!! Pinhead is a cheapskate and would rather use free stuff than spend money!!! ;)

Hey cheapskate, l've tried Ad-Aware, Spybot and recently paid $200 for Firewall...to no avail.

I'll give AVG ago. Thanks for the tip Pinhead. :smt023

~Elizabeth

You might also want to consider getting a second hard drive. I have one without an operating system on it that I keep all my data, pics and other files on it. I only put programs on the main drive.

Since the slave drive doesn't have a system loaded on it, it has so far escaped all the crap that has corrupted or buggered up my main drive. Also.... when something does take down the system, I just pop the slave drive out and pop it into one of the other computers and I have no down time while I do a wipe and re-install on my computer.

TheFrey has the right idea, I have an external hard drive that is 250 gigabytes and I store all my crap on it. If the computer takes a dump then I'm safe 8)