Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cesare
    Tried is not exactly the word you're looking for - I study the language, y'know... :P
    Interesting. Well hanzi is universal, but there is traditional, simplified, also Cantonese grammer is pretty far from Mandarin, similar to traditional Taiwanese, but they are versed in Japanese (the occupation) and Mandarin (the commies...LOL). I know some Taiwanese.....Lee kee shaw! My mentors were smart aleks, but I got even with them teaching them American slang.

Its great fun now to translate english to chinese. Its a serious challange to translate hanzi to english. I actually could do that once, you have to categorize the type of hanzi, number of strokes, its insanely complicated, then again its so simple. It would take me an hour to do one syllable. It doesnt help at all that a word may be 3 syllabils yet the hanzi is evenly spaced.....DOH!

Oops, kind of late, but Xin Nian Kwai Le...year of the tiger! Woo hoo! :smt023

Mandarin and Classical Chinese at university and Cantonese in my spare time (not progressing very fast with that but not giving up either).
    Which practically means learning both jiantizi, fantizi - and every now and then some regional specialty like å*‡... ;)

San nin faai lok to you too.
    Where five hamlets are the unit for judgments, supremacy is attained; where ten hamlets are the unit for judgments, there is merely strength.
    [...]
    Govern by punishments and wage war by rewards; seek transgressors and do not seek the virtuous.

The university of Washington is obligated to teach only mainland Mandarin. But two of my best teachers were Taiwanese, so it was kind of fun. Its been a while since I tried to write hanzi...its so simple, its all in the mind. Something about writing with it is so relaxing and addicting.

My favorite movies are the chinese ghost series, and also Once upon a time in China 3 is my favorite. :smt023

I really like those Cesare. Very nice.
    Turns out Gin is still alive. Dying but not dead yet. I hope he is saved.

One of the great things about living in america is humming birds. I love them and I am so glad that I get to see them from time to time. They are truely amazing!

I do think nature provides us with much beauty. I remember one time I was looking at a ring neck pheasant in our back yard, and thinking it was cool to see nature up close and personal. Of course my mom was upset that it was eating her rose bush but I think seeing the pheasant was better then roses.

the picture of the guys on poles over the water reminds me of Lummi Reef netting. I did that one day, we caught mostly floating plastic garbage. A buddy gave me a nice "Silver" salmon from another day though, yummy!

Re: Excess of Beauty

Rather big, so I am only posting a link - but it is a picture definitely worth seeing.
    http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/ph ... 6_460s.jpg
    Where five hamlets are the unit for judgments, supremacy is attained; where ten hamlets are the unit for judgments, there is merely strength.
    [...]
    Govern by punishments and wage war by rewards; seek transgressors and do not seek the virtuous.

Quote Originally Posted by Cesare
    Rather big, so I am only posting a link - but it is a picture definitely worth seeing.
    http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/ph ... 6_460s.jpg
    VERY cool! :thumbup:

When I saw the title, I opened the topic, because I thought it was about me :)
    Lexxian forever :)

My Bulgarian website on science fiction: SciFi.bg
    The anthologies that featured my short stories (for now only in Bulgarian): My Goodreads profile

Sheeesh, get over yourself, dahling...:-}
    [...]