• Germany (??? Why Not???)

1 10.00%
  • Other

5 50.00%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Never heard of em.

but look at this

It's 50 Fucking inches!

My Brother has one and it is one hell of a sword.
    Turns out Gin is still alive. Dying but not dead yet. I hope he is saved.

You're right, Cesare, the more you know about a culture, the more fascinating it becomes! However I know a lot about USA and Germany and I don't find them fascinating. I think my favourite foreign culture would be the russian. They aren't far from bulgarians, but that's not why I like them - russians are nice people, helpful, natural, have a rich culture and history and most of all - have preserved their slavic identity!
    Lexxian forever :)

My Bulgarian website on science fiction: SciFi.bg
    The anthologies that featured my short stories (for now only in Bulgarian): My Goodreads profile

Russians Nice?! What about Stalin? What about Lenin? Forgetting about their soviet history are we? Thats why I love them. Their Iron Will power.

I find Germany interesting too.

I'm not speaking about their leaders, but about the people. By your logic everyone in Germany is mad, cruel and wants to conquer the world, because Hitler did. Leaders always stain the reputation of the citizens. I'm also very interested in the culture and history of all balkan nations. We're close culturally, but hate each other because we've had wars so many times. So everyone says we're good (nice, hospitable, willing to help, generous, peaceful), the others are bad (backstabbing, greedy, arrogant), but infact we're all the same. The propaganda the politics use on us and our history make us think otherwise.
    Macedonians for example hate us in their guts. They are our west-south neighbours and their teritory used to be ours, there never was a macedonian nation. About 130 ago we were all under ottoman slavery, except the rumanians. Then we all began to free ourselves, Bulgaria got its freedom in 1878, but we didn't get all teritories in which bulgarians lived, Macedonia remained in Turkey. Bulgarians remained too busy fixing their own country and while there were many who wanted to add Macedonia and unite all bulgarians, noone from the important people actually did anything. The serbs stepped in and poured propaganda in Macedonia that they were a separate country, closer to them then to us and slowly but surely Macedonians separated themselves into another country, saying they have nothing to do with us. Bulgarian politics then had many problems and didn't wish Macedonia on their heads, so they helped the separation - to divide our languages, they made bulgarian closer to the dialects spoken in the east part, near the black sea, and the macedonians furthered their version of the same language, by mixing it with serbian and removing anything that came from the eastern bulgarian. Now (although we can still easily understand each other) we speak bulgarian and they speak macedonian, which "are and have always been two very different languages". The world wars in which we were enemies helped as well. Today macedonians still hate us for the past and for claiming that they are not a separate nation, do not have history and have always been part of Bulgaria, they do not wish to id themselves with the awful people, who backstabbed them and betrayed them, now of course they don't even recognise that, they claim they have nothing to do with us and have always been a separate nation. And all that because politics didn't do their job. They hate us and we also hate them more and more for not recognising the truth. Serbs love them, because they succeeded in converting macedonians away from Bulgaria, which they hate again because of the many wars in the past. Greeks like Bulgarians and hates Serbia and Macedonia (especially Macedonia, because the name comes from a greek area, the country Macedonia simply stole the name of the area, thereby creating even more confusion). Rumanians stay aside from all this, they are kind of unbalkan, but they also don't like us, because we are always concurenting ourselves, especially now when we were fighting to prove who's the best for the EU. Plus of course the history of wars, the times when a lot of bulgarians ran to them, because their country was under turkish slavery, but then showed no gratitude, an area towards the end of the Donau, which used to be bulgarian and now is rumanian, but filled with bulgarians, etc.

Now, the most confusing thing (if you actually understood anything from reading the post) is that each country studies a different thing. Macedonians have a totally different history from ours. They claim Alexander the great was macedonian, because he was born in Macedonia, but it's actually the greek area of Macedonia and then there weren't no bulgarians or serbs, what to say about a macedonian nation. That was just an example, but the main, that they are taught in history classes is that they have nothing to do with Bulgaria. We are taught, that they are ours and have always been ours. Greeks are taught something else, concentrating on the difference between Macedonia and FYR Macedonia. Serbs learn a forth thing, which makes Macedonia a serbian teritory. Albanians - I have no idea what they are taught, but it's definitely something completely different. Turks don't care, because it was all once theirs. So history is a subject to huge changes and one can never know the truth. We have a lot of documents and consider ourselves right, but so do the others - I can never know what truly happened. But I do know we're the same people.

In any event my main point was, that people cannot be named after their most famous leaders, who in 99% of the cases act in their own interests, not in the interest of the nation.

By the way, if Brunnen-G checks the topic, he might say something different as well, because he lives in a city near the macedonian border, full of macedonians. Perhaps the common opinion there is different. We once discussed it with him, but I don't remember much... Perhaps Cesare has many interesting stories from her region as well? And I'm sure russians have a lot to tell, we have such a rich and different history ont he small balkan, what to say for the huge russian half of Asia? I'd be glad to read about other interesting regions of the world!
    Lexxian forever :)

My Bulgarian website on science fiction: SciFi.bg
    The anthologies that featured my short stories (for now only in Bulgarian): My Goodreads profile

I don't go by leaders but history. Accomplishments, failures, invasions, and people I've met. I like Germany for their chocolate. :-D

I love Canada, Scotland, Spain, Greece, and a few others... :-D

I just never heard of Russia as nice. Aren't they the people of Iron Will?

Also I dislike the Spanish. Some Illegal immigrants ruined the crap out of my lawn and can't pay for the damages. They don't even speak english! If you move to a country learn the damn language! I never used to be raceist but now I dislike spanish people in america unless they know english.

Quote Originally Posted by His Divine Shadow
    Also I dislike the Spanish. Some Illegal immigrants ruined the crap out of my lawn and can't pay for the damages. They don't even speak english! If you move to a country learn the damn language! I never used to be raceist but now I dislike spanish people in america unless they know english.
    Pssst! The illegal immigrants in the US aren't from Spain. :P

Oh, crap... This thread is getting funnier each time I take a look at it.

So - Putin is actually a great guy, huh? Wow. Really? That guy makes me feel uneasy at best.

Assets of communism - hmm, wow again. That warm nostalgia that spreads through your whole being when you think of those lovely times when people didn't have to lock their houses. Yay...
    No poor people, no beggars...
    Well, I'm not sure about Bulgaria or Russia - but over here, this "no poor people, no beggars" looked more like "most people's living standards were really no big deal, most people didn't really earn much money and there were no bananas or oranges for the greater part of the year - except cuban oranges which were some of the most disgusting fruits I've ever eaten - and you had to queue up in a loooong line to get such basic things like toilet paper". I hope it's not necessary to elaborate on such things as totalitarianism, Orwell and stuff...
    "Great assets" of communism came at great cost - to society, to individuals, to culture, to pretty much everything and everyone, except the fucking big red bosses.
    Speaking of great assets of communism is really a lot like speaking of great assets of nazism, y'know... There ain't that much of a difference.
    Where five hamlets are the unit for judgments, supremacy is attained; where ten hamlets are the unit for judgments, there is merely strength.
    [...]
    Govern by punishments and wage war by rewards; seek transgressors and do not seek the virtuous.