View Poll Results: How long should a person wait to propose?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • several Years

3 23.08%
  • 2 years

6 46.15%
  • a month

0 0%
  • 3 or more months

3 23.08%
  • After relationship survives a major fight.

1 7.69%
  • During the honeymoon Phase

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marriage check

Marriage check

My brother proposed to his girlfriend a while ago. He only knew her for one month. I don't think this marriage will be built to last. I just want to see some opinions.
    Turns out Gin is still alive. Dying but not dead yet. I hope he is saved.

In my personal experience, I'd say the longer the better, but I checked off for 3 months or longer. Emphasis on the longer. This is just based on my observation and experience with friends and family, not being a married myself. But, I also have a friend whose parents only knew each other 6 weeks before they were engaged and are still together over 35 years later and very happy and compatible together.

I'm going to have to mirror Gruber's opinion. Sometimes it works and you can tell it right away. Other times it's doomed from the beginning.
    I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword. With blade in hand shall I reap the sins of this world and cleanse it in the fires of destruction. I am Hakumen. The end has come!

I got engaged after five months, but I guess it depends on how well your relationship goes.

I don't think one should propose at all. If the two are compatible and live well together and love each other, why would they need marriage? They could spend their lives together and have 10 kids without the paper and all the money that goes with it. On the other hand if it doesn't turn out well and they want to separate in a few years, they'll have to divorce, have 1000s of fights over property and give millions to laywers, who don't deserve them or the time. So I'd love my life with someone and ask for marriage perhaps when we're 80 years old and we have lived at least 40 years together :)
    Lexxian forever :)

My Bulgarian website on science fiction: SciFi.bg
    The anthologies that featured my short stories (for now only in Bulgarian): My Goodreads profile

Quote Originally Posted by n5-kopele
    I don't think one should propose at all. If the two are compatible and live well together and love each other, why would they need marriage? They could spend their lives together and have 10 kids without the paper and all the money that goes with it. On the other hand if it doesn't turn out well and they want to separate in a few years, they'll have to divorce, have 1000s of fights over property and give millions to laywers, who don't deserve them or the time. So I'd love my life with someone and ask for marriage perhaps when we're 80 years old and we have lived at least 40 years together :)
    ^agreed.

but if you insist... have a few major fights first.

When I told my opinion to my great grandmother, she was about to have a heartattack! The old school would certainly consider such a thing as living in terrible sin and a ticket straight to the worst circle of hell :/

The anthologies that featured my short stories (for now only in Bulgarian): My Goodreads profile

Quote Originally Posted by n5-kopele
    Marriage exists so that children will have parents to raise them. I believe divorce is a very evil thing. If I was married ,regardless of how unhappy I was, I would be murdered by my wife before I would get divorced. Even if I have to let her kill me.

Then you can only hope you'll have a good wife, who you'll love 20 years after the marriage and will live well with her. I know that if I were my father, I'd divorce my mother not later than 10 years after the marriage.

This generation is so sad. 50% or more marriages (In the U.S. at least) end in divorce.

By the way I bet if alimony did not exist there would be less divorces. Most of the women I know are gold diggers. Not all, but most. So few people actually love something other than money anymore.