Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

St Patrick's day 2010

Happy St Patrick's Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Irelands Call
    Turns out Gin is still alive. Dying but not dead yet. I hope he is saved.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!
    " to be true, to be true"

What's so special about this day? We don't have it.
    Lexxian forever :)

My Bulgarian website on science fiction: SciFi.bg
    The anthologies that featured my short stories (for now only in Bulgarian): My Goodreads profile

Here in the U.S., we use St. Paddy's Day to pretend we're Irish, drink green beer, and get totally trashed. It has something to do with a mideaval Saint driving all the snakes out of Ireland. We Americans adopted the holiday for the same reason we adopted Cinco de Mayo and Mardi Gras - drinking holidays to bump up revenue for the bars and pubs and give people an excuse to get blind drunk with no reprisals. I mean, it's okay if you only get shitfaced two or three times a year, right?

Anyway, I've been known to refer to this sort of holiday as "Amateur Night", so I have no room whatsoever to moralize - it's just that all those novices spoil the occasions for me.
    "Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, and small minds discuss people."-

Awww, so we have that day :) But it's on 14th of February! It's Trifon Zarezan's day, the holiday of the wine workers. It has nothing to do with Saint Valentine, it was adopted much later and the two dates just coincide :) So on 14th february people who have dates, celebrate with them, and those who don't (or whose dates agree to get wasted with them) get together for a party and drink :)
    Lexxian forever :)

My Bulgarian website on science fiction: SciFi.bg
    The anthologies that featured my short stories (for now only in Bulgarian): My Goodreads profile

Ah, the Patron Saints.

Scotland have St. Andrew's day
    England have St. George's day
    Wales have St. David's day (the only person actually from the country that he's the Patron Saint of in the UK)
    Ireland have St. Patrick's day
    Απο την Ουαλία με αγάπη !
    Cymru am byth !

Quote Originally Posted by Zoola
    Ah, the Patron Saints.

Wales have St. David's day (the only person actually from the country that he's the Patron Saint of in the UK)
    Ireland's Patron Saint is St. Bridget.

To answer why this day is special is that St. Patrick did more than drive the snakes from Ireland. He was the first person in History to openly protest slavery.

Quote Originally Posted by His Divine Shadow
    Ah, the Patron Saints.

To answer why this day is special is that St. Patrick did more than drive the snakes from Ireland. He was the first person in History to openly protest slavery.
    No, St. Bridget is ALSO a patron saint of Ireland, along with St. Patrick, and i think also St. Columba.

St. Patrick's day is the one celebrated on a wide scale in Ireland and other parts of the world.
    Απο την Ουαλία με αγάπη !
    Cymru am byth !

Ah, the Patron Saints.

No, St. Bridget is ALSO a patron saint of Ireland, along with St. Patrick, and i think also St. Columba.

St. Patrick's day is the one celebrated on a wide scale in Ireland and other parts of the world.
    Well a vague understanding I have, not documented, is that St Patrick "drove off the snakes" is symbolic as to banish the heretics, druids, any other non christian original beliefs. The "Celtic Cross" is a hybrid christian and indiginous religion symbol. So I am not so sure that St Patrick's day is all that cool, unless you are a christian advocate. Christians burned rome, not Nero. They were the original "terrorists."

In America, we celebrate St Patricks day by drinking green beer....YUCK!!!! and have parades, cook beef briskit with cabbage and potatoes and carrots....YUMMM!!! I love corned beef. Then all the jokes about Leprechans and pot of gold at the end of rainbows.....LOL!

BTW, Jesus was born in march, but it is celebrated in December, and with trees covered with lights....makes sense.

For the most part, nobody has a clue as to the origin of St Patricks day, in America it is mostly a celebrate Irish day, as Columbus is celebrate uh....Portugesse, Spanish, Italian, Iberian, Jews......all, some or none of the above.

I can do without green beer. Guys parading the streets in skirts, not my thing. Beating rattlesnakes with sticks, that could be fun. Otherwise, St Patricks day is a mystery, but always a fun day. :?

Quote Originally Posted by Veyron
    Ah, the Patron Saints.

Well a vague understanding I have, not documented, is that St Patrick "drove off the snakes" is symbolic as to banish the heretics, druids, any other non christian original beliefs. The "Celtic Cross" is a hybrid christian and indiginous religion symbol. So I am not so sure that St Patrick's day is all that cool, unless you are a christian advocate. Christians burned rome, not Nero. They were the original "terrorists."

In America, we celebrate St Patricks day by drinking green beer....YUCK!!!! and have parades, cook beef briskit with cabbage and potatoes and carrots....YUMMM!!! I love corned beef. Then all the jokes about Leprechans and pot of gold at the end of rainbows.....LOL!

BTW, Jesus was born in march, but it is celebrated in December, and with trees covered with lights....makes sense.

For the most part, nobody has a clue as to the origin of St Patricks day, in America it is mostly a celebrate Irish day, as Columbus is celebrate uh....Portugesse, Spanish, Italian, Iberian, Jews......all, some or none of the above.

I can do without green beer. Guys parading the streets in skirts, not my thing. Beating rattlesnakes with sticks, that could be fun. Otherwise, St Patricks day is a mystery, but always a fun day. :?
    The Irish are not terrorists. Also You've gotta like the bagpipes, Celtic Thunder and such.