Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lexx as a film study

Other things intrigue us about Lexx beyond characters and story. Set design, costuming, makeup, lighting, props, all the little details that make it believable. Working on my own film study at http://grandfortuna.xanga.com/767742511/the-lexx/, but it's more of a teaser obsession than in depth discussion there, and it's going to take time. I'm sure I've missed key elements that pique other people's interest, and I was never involved enough to get much in the way of behind the scenes details. One thing I notice faster than anything in any filming is the way lighting and colors are used. There are shadows *everywhere* in the first movie, it's like this subconscious brainwashing thing you might not notice at first. Stuff like that.
    You're wasting your energy attempting to force my cooperation. I have no sense of self preservation and can always be reassembled. --790

Re: Lexx as a film study

Xanga has been pretty cool about letting me plug Lexx, like this.

But my most recent post is too racy to plug to general audience, so I'm just linking it around.
    http://bluejacky.xanga.com/769751796...xx-sex-survey/
    You're wasting your energy attempting to force my cooperation. I have no sense of self preservation and can always be reassembled. --790

WOW ! Not seen you for a while ! How you doing ? x
    Απο την Ουαλία με αγάπη !
    Cymru am byth !

P.S. My forum name used to be 'Cluster'.
    Απο την Ουαλία με αγάπη !
    Cymru am byth !

Quote Originally Posted by Zoola
    WOW ! Not seen you for a while ! How you doing ? x
    8-) Doing awesome! Went splat for awhile, getting up and dusting back off. Lexxing with the big kids. Noticed all the nerds are coming out of their weirdo closests via Nerdist and Nerd Machine and stuff, thought about leaping into the mix, but I'm not a Lexx fan to make money. It's all the rage now to podcast and community blog, but I've already had a taste of getting drowned out in a sea of voices on network blogging, you can't control your own traffic and linking and eventually your stuff disappears into a noise of hundreds of people trying to be heard. So I invested in my own blogs and put a few hours (days, weeks, months) into learning how to build a web presence all over again (it's already vastly different from just 5 years ago, search engines have evolved far beyond meta tagging), and I guess I'm going bionic. Bigger, better, faster kind of thing. Way more. If Wil Wheaton can go through his entire garage taking pix for twitter (omg, it's neverending), I can blog about Lexxing. There may not be a Lexx presence at SDCC, but as Jack Sparrow says, "But you ~have~ heard of me." It's about time Lexx blew up the internet. Instead of waiting for the fans to find Lexx, I splat Lexx all over the crowd and let them figure out for themselves whether they want to be fans or not.

Greece? You should pm me. ;)

8-) I am having waaaaaay too much fun with this. Da Lexx- Rapdicted http://grandfortuna.xanga.com/769987...xx--rapdicted/

Haven't been on the boards in so long and stuff, has anyone ever made a big deal before about Lexx being a racist show because it's so full of white people? I have never run into that myself until today. A person on tumblr is going a little nuts over it and seems to be completely missing the point that the entire human race is under the biggest racist attack ever by the remnant left over from the Insect Wars. I'm glad Trek and other shows incorporate people from all over our planet in their actors, but you don't realize how much this might actually train people to stop at the political correctness in the film industry and completely fail to grasp story content. Not one word about sex slavery, the severity of the justice system, human body parts being fed to a giant bug, humans being brainwashed by society to rat our their own so they can receive awards of merit, no, Lexx sux because all the actors being white ~automatically~ leads to the assumption that there was never any color variety naturally evolved anywhere in the League of 20,000 Planets. *wow* I don't know whether to say 'small minds' or hand this person an award of merit. May His Shadow fall upon her. As Zev says, "Whatever." And I don't mean to sound flippant. I'm about as Heinz as it gets, and I just don't think of that stuff when I get sucked into a good story.

What i really dislike about USA is tolerance and polit correctnes gone to mad extremes.

Since when lack of black people in movie means that this movie is rasist? For example in Russia we dont have too much of african black people, because Russian had its own whie russian slaves (serfs) until 20 century, so that you cant see black people in russian movies. Does this mean Russia is rasist? No, it just meand that we have not much black actors around and they would not look russian anyway, so most likely russian movie makers would not need them, except maybe for playing Pushkin's predecessor, who was one of rare black people in Russia back then .
    But in USA with quite stupid black lobby in movie industry, which pushing every movie maker to put black man on some role, every russian movie maker would be probably accused in rasism. Thats what i mean by mad extremes.
    In USA there are lot of black people because of extreme slavery in previous centuries, which also a reason of white people in USA feeling guilt and this quilt allows them to put rights of white people bellow rights of black people instead of just making rights equal. I mean its good that white people feel guilt and trying to compensate that and bring the justice and pay for suffering of black people in past, but its not good when it goes to such extremes when black man have more rights or pushed by force everywhere or have better marks in college just because they black, or white people accused in rasism only because they forgot to call some black man to their party.
    White people of new generation should just live with black people with equal rights, but should not act like they are slaves of black people and pay for a sins of their fathers so many years.
    ----
    Ok, now back to LEXX. Lexx, thanks Einstein, is a Canadian (and partially a German) movie, and Canada have different history than USA and well, less slavery issues (well Canadian cold climat was not very suitable for black people), there was restriction for black immirgration until 1962 year, and more of black canadians are of Carribean origin, and less of African. So lets be honnest - Canada have less black people (only about 2.5% of population) than USA, less racial tension and no guilt complex. So Canada simly "Fuss" less about rasism, than USA do.
    Thats why not calling a black man in a movie not such a big issue in Canada and nobody accusse Canadian movie makers in Rasism for this. And that good, i dont see any issue in this and i suppose Canadian black, not like their brothers from USA also mostly dont see this as and issue. Story is a little bit different about Germany (except for some "little" rasist issues in WW2 times, but lets no talk about that and dont blame curren generations of Germans for sins of their fathers), but it also have less black people, so this means less black actors and less chances to see black people in german movies.
    Also, to be correct - lexx do have several black actors, and one of them have one the most major roles in series.
    The EPIC VOICE (yeah, many black people have really good low pitch voices that quite suitable for epic lords of evil and darkness, lol - DARTH VADER anyone?) of HIS DIVINE SHADOW belonds to black actor! Later same Actor played in Season 2 in WOZ and in a lot of season 4 episodes.
    You can accuse lexx creators in rasism after this!
    And what is really good about LEXX relationships with black actors - they are honnest and sincere, not like in hollywood movies. Because LEXX does not have black actors, just because some black lobby forced LEXX creator to have some black actors (on role of tipycal black guy who dies first, lol, thats how Hollywood usually use black actors ), Lexx have black actors because they are talanted and suitable for roles.
    -
    Walter Borden is black and he is really epic, his voice if unforgettable and have more important reole in series than most of white actors. Im really glad that Lexx creators hired him:
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0096168/

Lexx creators loves him, lexx fans loves him too, his role is very important, and he is black, so who is rasist afterall?
    Everyone accusing lexx in rasism should be shut up by this fact.
    The only reason lexx have not much black ators is because there was not much suitable black actors around and thats it, no rasism. Halifax is not L.A. and have no black Ghettos and no black lobbies around.

P.S. - despite some of my words may sound a little rasist im not at all, i have few black friends, i love some pure black movies like "Don't Be a Menace to South Central" and games like GTA San Andreas (probably the game i spent most hours in when was younger. There i was a black gangsta and killed white cops, screaming "Die you, white biatch!", am i rasis after this, lol?)

:lol: Very thorough! Yeah, I agree with all that. Basically two things came out on tumblr and I never heard back- I said I'd be happy to do an ethnicity inventory of all the Lexx actors just because I'm an obsessive person and it sounds like fun (and I'd probably be the first fan in Lexx history to do it), and another fan popped up and said if Lexx was all white or all black, either way it's still a great story.

It's funny that no one ever worries about Native Americans... :roll: I grew up 16 miles from the Navajo reservation. I won't even go into that big mess, but after the stuff I saw growing up, I'm not keen on taking sides in race issues. There are plenty of Asian-Americans, Irish-Americans, Mexican-Americans, and a plethora of something-Americans getting stepped on every day. It's about time we all started thinking of ourselves as humans. I think that is why scifi shows about the devastation of earth by REAL aliens are so popular, stories like that bind us together as a race of PEOPLE, and good things come of it.

Thanx for the response! 8-)

Actually, Walter Bordon plays an evil character in all his parts, so the only black actor playing evil characters CAN be considered racist.

I remember so many gay people were furious when Ianto in Torchwood died. They said "Ianto and Jack were the only real and long-lasting gay relationship on TV. Killing one of them and punishing the other (especially while the other ongoing relationship on the show, a hetero one is still going on) is homophobic!"

Of course, the writer has killed off many other characters before and he killed Ianto to make a big emotional impact on both the audience and the other character, so that he can do some bad stuff in the last episode. But those people didn't care about that, they just went on and on about the writer being homophobic because he killed a gay character.

So don't be surprised by the stupidity of some people :) However I agree that this stupidity has gone too far in the USA, where it's obligatory to have at least one black/asian man as a positive character.
    Lexxian forever :)

My Bulgarian website on science fiction: SciFi.bg
    The anthologies that featured my short stories (for now only in Bulgarian): My Goodreads profile