Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Magic the gathering

I didn't want to but I am now officially addicted to it.

I knew it was expensive but like a moth to flames I was drawn in by a friend.

How many out there even know what this is?

And am I the biggest nerd around?

Re: Magic the gathering

Take a look at my user pic... And my signature.

I've been playing Magic: the Gathering since 1996. I remember "Black Summer." The "Ice Age" block hit and EVERYONE was running black in order to play Necropotence.

Anyway, I run a reanimator deck now and can easily summon "It That Betrays" on my first turn. Or Jin-Gitaxias. Basically any really high cost power creature I can summon on my first turn and there isn't any counters to it.
    I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword. With blade in hand shall I reap the sins of this world and cleanse it in the fires of destruction. I am Hakumen. The end has come!

Good to see a fellow MTG player

I only just started though so I'm afraid I'm only familiar with standard. Right now I'm just itching for gatecrash pre release! Doesn't happen till the end of the month though.

I have a feeling some day I will be switching from standard since it seems real expensive. Well it's all expensive but I'm excited. in fact I"m hurting my itty bitty brain right now trying to memorize the spoilers so I have a heads up some what for draft.

Angles are my favorite. and vampires second I would never dream of playing a themed deck in a tournament though obviously.

Actually I don't play tournaments I"m not that good yet. In fact I have only won anything once during a draft. but I don't care I still have fun playing.

If you think standard is expensive, Legacy is "I Hate Money" the format. With Standard, you still have a chance of hitting cards you need in booster packs. In Legacy/Modern/Vintage/Extended, you might have to buy individual cards off eBay, and some of those are expensive.

For example, going back to my reanimator deck, the only counter to my deck on turn zero is "Force of Will" an uncommon blue card from Alliances. And you can see here how much that runs. Now imagine needing four of them.

Jace, the Car Payment
    The Crown Jewel
    I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword. With blade in hand shall I reap the sins of this world and cleanse it in the fires of destruction. I am Hakumen. The end has come!

I know all about it. My friend who got me into it spends oober amounts of money on cards he needs. But he's running a pro deck I don't do pro since I"m a chicken. To me there is no point in spending money on friday night magic when I'm not good enough yet to even have a chance to win.

Well if legacy is equally expensive I might steer clear of it until all my cards become old enough to compete in legacy. Maybe. Not really since I'm not interested in tournaments I mostly just want to play for the pleasure of it. I do a lot of drafts even though I"m not good at them but at least I get to keep the cards.

I'm still debating whether I should save the money to buy a box when gate crash arrives or just keep drafting and hope for the best. Packs are crack for me! It's like christmas to me. Even if I don't get anything good I just like the surprise!

Legacy allows all sets to be used. So you can use your cards in Legacy right now. But that comes with the fact that the old cards are still there.

Standard Format is only the latest sets, cycling in the Fall. Like how Scars of Mirrodin/Mirrodin Besieged/New Phyrexia cycled out in October of last year. (Twas a sad time for me since I've always loved the mythos of Phyrexia.)

Extended Format is like Standard, but for the latest three cycles.

Modern is anything from Eighth Edition and on. (So post-Scourge.)

Legacy is cards from all sets with a ban list.

Vintage is like Legacy, but the ban list is made into a restriction list. (Banned cards, like the Power Nine, are allowed up to one in a deck.)

My experiences at FNM were... less than stellar. I wasn't used to restricting myself to certain sets. And it just so happened that I had to drive 30 miles to get to it from where I live. Oh and one of the regular players happens to be ranked second in the state for the Pro-Tour. So I was destined to lose.

thanks for all that info.

Yeah I drive about an hour away to play with my friends. There are closer stores but I don't know any one there so I don't go to them. I know I should expand my horizons right? Well I spend enough money on it as it is. If I find those stores around here there will be no stopping me! (NO control over my spending! I just see shiny new things and I buy them!)

I probably go to FNM even though I don't play in FNM about 2-4 times a month (well duh!) more like two though. I stick around for late night draft. The people there are pretty nice to me and patient considering how new and slow I am.

Any how I'm still so excited for gatecrash! I've seen so many spoilers and I can't wait for pre release! 26th! only one week to go! I've been saving up for this. And I've been waiting technically since December for it.

We must play extended then because I think we use three blocks. they rotate them out.

I was excited for Ravnica and Gatecrash... But I ended up retiring from the game instead. It just lost it's luster for me, and the fact that Phyrexia came back was the main reason I got back into the game. Once it was out, I basically stopped caring again. I loved "Old Magic" and quit the first time after "Scourge."

Maybe I'll come back again... Once Phyrexia rolls around again. Probably in seven years.

I'm like that with some manga. If it starts getting lame or looses that certain something I drop it in favor of something shinier. I have a short or limited attention span as well.

well long story short I did buy a box of gatecrash. 85$ here. I guess there isn't a whole lot of money in this new set so I might just draft it from here on out. Orzhov seems to be my favored guild. I won a small prize at pre release. pre release lived up to every thing I dreamed it would be. I had so much fun and even won a 50$ play mat. It's so shiny and pretty.

I'm sure someday it will loose it's luster for me too but for now I'm highly addicted to it. I'm still finding myself spending money on it where I could have spent it better else where. Like on my car that needs a new left axle. Or a hair cut that I so desperately need. And oh who needs to eat when there's magic cards to be bought.

Right now I"m working on making avacyn angel of hope work in a deck. I'm making her hex proof with either domri rade or alpha authority. The main problem I"m encountering is that this deck is just not fast enough even with all the mana fixing available. Such as arbor elf, avacyn pilgrim, far seek, and greenside watcher. Yes I have a lot of gates in my deck. Not enough shock lands due to them being too expensive. I hear next set will have a one in three chance of getting a shock land. Which is cool because it sucks buying them.

I'm being made fun of though for trying something so stupid. I know it's stupid but I'm stubborn and I will make avacyn angel of hope all that she was meant to be!

Part of her problem is her high casting cost. You'll mostly want to stick to a mono white deck with only one of her in the deck.

If New Phyrexia was still available and usable, it had things like Birthing Pod to get your bigger creatures out faster, and cards like Caged Sun and Pristine Talisman to help expand your mana pool. But once the Innistrad block and M13 came around, they slowed the game down.

If you need mana fast, rely on green.