Thread: I am new here.

I am new here.

Hello all. I just came across this site, and am kind of surprised I never found it before. In my opinion, Lexx is the most important sci-fi show ever made. It has remained equally important to me in the time since it stopped being aired; what's changed is my capacity and passion for writing about such stuff.

I've posted quite a few words about the show on Lexxverse.com over the last few years, but my comments don't always seem to inspire as much of a give and take as I'd expect to see, and sometimes seems to inspire negative responses which I don't think are completely justified.

It looks like there are several people here who don't appear so much on the other site, and yet can value a discussion about this really cool show.

Here's a response I wrote to a comment there which I ended up deleting and replacing with something completely different because I thought the timing was wrong for this comment. Now it doesn't make much sense out of context, but I'm too lazy to rewrite it:

When you were asking for "anyone else's" thoughts, I *do* hope you weren't meaning to specifically disinclude me...

:)

... because I already wrote this whole thing before I noticed that phrasing:

By "change up," do you mean to say "be reincarnated"? I have to say I find that un-compelling.

In fact, despite my once expressed opinion to the contrary somewhere here on Lexxverse -- and please don't anyone bring that thread back if it is found! -- I now accept that Water and Fire were *indeed* the location of all afterlife activities for mankind in the two universes.

My previous doubt can only be explained as a manifestation of my continued botherment at how the wacky and dark sci-fi of Lexx's first two seasons which held powerful appeal to me on so many levels morphed into Season 3 which so materially incorporated into itself the foreign-to-me concept of life-after-death -- that, and perhaps a possible borderline case of alcohol poisoning when I first watched Episode 3.12.

Captain Stan, not doing so well.

I believe you may find yourself chafing at the notion that a finite space such as the two small planets represented could be contain an near-infinite number of souls.

I think the answer for that worry was made clear when it was revealed that the center of Fire was far larger, perhaps, than strict Pythagorean math and standard planetary topology would allow; and it was in the insides where most souls waited patiently in queue for more of whichever sort of "reward" they were due.

The same situation obtained for Water; which was apparently full of... water... right to its brightly lit core.

You may ask how subsequent to the afterlife planets having been destroyed by the Lexx that an immediate and absurdly proportioned population crisis would have broken out on the Little Blue Planet. When the freed souls flocked there to be reborn how could they all fit? I think that all the superfluous souls continued to be held in stasis somewhere until there was room for them to be reawakened -- or, alternatively, perhaps they just dissipated into the cold of space.

Writing about all this reminds me once again why I didn't like Season 3. Even as it has grown on me it remains my least favorite season, but who knows? Perhaps some new revelation will occur to me, or some new way of interpreting it all will be brought to my attention which will turn my opinion on its head.

As for your mention of the repeat circle of time, I've remarked previously of how this part of the story struck me as a reference to the philosophy of Friedrich Nietzsche as explained by Arthur C. Danto -- who was certainly no Nietzsche fan and whose work was widely panned by Nietzsche lovers.

Danto -- if I may take a chance on paraphrasing him based on my recollection and interpretation from reading his work over a dozen years ago -- said that Nietzsche's "will to power" was the will which man must exert to break free from the endless circle of time; a pattern which contrary to mainstream Nietzsche thought, Danto said was not a metaphorical idea at all, but a literal belief on Nietzsche's part that time repeated itself "a-gaiyn and a-gaiyn" ad nauseam.

(Nietzsche, it will be remembered, was a *very* intelligent man, but nonetheless lived the final years of his life in an insane asylum.)

Recently I watched the biopic film "What We Do Is Secret" about Darby Crash and The Germs; the seminal Los Angeles punk rock band which was making the rounds about the same time I was going to Flipper shows up here in S.F. The film related that Darby believed that time circled around on itself in just the same way; I'm not sure whether that means he read Nietzsche, but he was apparently a voracious reader.

The Germs c. 1979 (Note the circle logo)

In any case, I believe the concept of time itself is not above being questioned. Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five presents another fiction-based analysis of the topic.

Perhaps our existence is in some way akin to that of a record player: we are only able to sense the reality of our life's groove one bump or wiggle at a time, with a start on the outer perimeter and finale on the inside near the label, and yet the record remains complete in time no matter whether it has yet to be played or has long since been returned to its sleeve.

There. I think I've probably answered questions that weren't asked.

Re: I am new here.

In my opinion, Lexx is the most important sci-fi show ever made.
    Hello, some of us feel pretty passionate about Lexx too. :wave: I've written a number of articles about the importance of Lexx, unfortunately, racing through and not much time. Here are the linx, I'll try to get back here and comment more. It's cool that you spent some quality time writing your stuff out.

Index http://grandfortuna.xanga.com/767742511/the-lexx/
    http://grandfortuna.xanga.com/770197...-is-important/
    http://grandfortuna.xanga.com/772257...x-is-personal/
    You're wasting your energy attempting to force my cooperation. I have no sense of self preservation and can always be reassembled. --790

Re: I am new here.

Quote Originally Posted by Beiou
    Perhaps our existence is in some way akin to that of a record player: we are only able to sense the reality of our life's groove one bump or wiggle at a time, with a start on the outer perimeter and finale on the inside near the label, and yet the record remains complete in time no matter whether it has yet to be played or has long since been returned to its sleeve.
    http://www.crystalinks.com/holographic.html

If you wanna chew some gristle, I'll have a go, but the next 3-4 weeks are booked up for quality time. I'll get back to this.
    You're wasting your energy attempting to force my cooperation. I have no sense of self preservation and can always be reassembled. --790